Desperate help needed on how to become a lawyer in Switzerland


I have a very serious question and I am in a desperate situation. I am a Swiss citizen who wants to become a lawyer. Now, I am studying law in England since my school ( which was English) had told me to go study law in England and come back to Switzerland and become a lawyer. I have called many people all who tell me it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to become a lawyer in my home country. They tell me that I have to redo my bachelors, masters and law school and then pass the bar in order to become a lawyer in Geneva. My questions are these. Can a barrister ( which is what many urge me to become) work in Switzerland as a lawyer? If so, what do I need to do to become a lawyer once I become a barrister? Secondly,

which is the fastest way to become a lawyer. I know this sounds silly since becoming a lawyer is serious and hard working business. The thing is I don't want to repeat my whole degree!! I speak French and Italian fluently. I also speak German ( not fluent). I have asked numerous people, called numerous people, all who say different things. Are there any short courses which I can take in order to become a lawyer in Switzerland?? I even called the Swiss embassy in London who didn't know what to do and wouldn't help a Swiss citizen!! Can someone out there please give me some answers. I would be very grateful as so far my research has lead to no answers. I'm someone who is hard working, so work is not the issue. I just want to know the various ways in which someone with a foreign degree and no experience can become a practicing lawyer in Switzerland. Thank you.

Post a Comment